antweight and super antweight crushers

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Re: antweight and super antweight crushers

Post by Hogi »

I will probably ask for the parts for my birthday in august and have it up and running for next yeah. I think a crusher would make the antweight games at robot wars and robots live more exiting. it wont be anything really devastating so don't worry too much, you wont have to spend the whole time repairing great big holes in your robot's armour. it'll be more of a grabber designed to clamp opponents and carry them around until I find something to push them into like a pit, unwalled side or spinner. not sure how effective a weapon like that will be against spinners. might end up taking damage from the opponent's weapon while holding them.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
alasdair

Re: antweight and super antweight crushers

Post by alasdair »

I have run a claw robot with fairly decent success since I first started in robotics, and it remains my favourite weapon system by far.

I think the main issue by far is that it is extremely difficult to get any power behind a claw to the point where it can do much damage. I have always run Mantis as more being focused around the pushing aspect, combined with the ability to grab the opponent and hold them while pushing them out. For this you don't need anything more than a 30g servo. I recommend a hitec HS83 for example. The claw can be pretty much anything you please. For years I have run the same plastic claw with an aluminium tip and a carbon fibre attachment to help me self right when I am flipped onto my back. The good thing about the grabber setup is that due to the relative low weight of components you can invest a fair amount in armor. This means a grabber is one of the most effective setups against a spinner you can get. I never went wrong (much) charging gung-ho into the teeth of a spinner, grabbing them, then using my higher mobility to do what I please. Its definitely fun.

If you are set on a real crushing robot like you would see in larger scale classes, you have a few options, none easy. Firstly is finding a very high torque and decent speed servo. You will be lucky to find one with a decent amount below 80g, which makes it near impossible to fit inside the weight limit with a decent set of components and chassis, and even then it is doubtful that you will go through anything more than thin polycarb or hdpe. The second option would be to venture into pneumatics, something I have considered, but never gone about since it seems fairly complex and I have no idea how well it would perform.Having a fairly solid claw is also important. Titanium or steel would work, but even then it needs to be thicker than you would expect.

My latest attempt after a long hiatus in robotics is a 2mm thick titanium claw on a 60 odd gram savox servo with a fair bit of crush, but it is extremely tight as far as weight goes, and on test even the titanium of the claw bends when trying to grab something fairly solid, so it is still kind of a grabber more than a true crusher.

Im sorry if this seems like a barrage of demotivation, but don't let me stop you. I would love to see more claw bots in competitions, and it would be awesome to see someone make a true crusher if possible.
Hope you found this useful