team hectic

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

team hectic

Post by Hogi »

currently in construction of a brand new ant called thunder which should be ready by either robot wars Guildford or ant weight world series 41. it'll have a flipper and 2mm HDPE armour.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Hogi

Re: team hectic

Post by Hogi »

antweight series 40 really taught me more about how robots are built. I thought the flippers did well especially anticide the new champion but the spinners just seemed to destroy themselves more than anything else or spin themselves out the arena.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Rhys

Post by Rhys »

New champion? hah! :P
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I know anticide is undoubtedly the most successful ant ever in the history of the AWS. I want to know how to build an awesome flipper bot like that.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Hogi

Post by Hogi »

are autonimus robots allowed to compete in the AWS? I just wondered because I thought it would be good to fight a virtual driver in a battle of driving skill. how good are they usually?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

They're definitely allowed to compete - the current rules don't allow for them much but provided they can be shut down remotely I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed - I know Peter is working on his semi-autonomous version of Dominant and if there's anyone that will produce an effective, fully autonomous antweight, it'll be him!

The main issue in an AWS environment is getting it to behave itself and distinguish the opponent from the arena walls (in addition to the obvious risk of having all your sensors taken out in one hit) but people can and do use them for driving practice at home!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

it would be amazing to test my driver's skills against a computer driven robot. I however am not intelligent enough to even consider a design for an autonomous robot. :D
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Hogi

Post by Hogi »

to make a walker, can I use unmodified servos as legs if I don't used mixed mode on the speed controller?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Hogi

Post by Hogi »

really looking forward to robot wars Guildford. it'll be my cousin's first event as a roboteer. he always has lots of questions about AWS. i'll be bringing Hogi, territorial ( if I find time and money to repair it with) and my new robot thunder if I get it built in time. please tell me if you have an antweight that you'll be bringing. it's always better when there are lots of ants to fight. just hope my robots actually stay working and behaving themselves for the entire event. territorial has a great name and a powerful servo powered lifter/ flipper but sometimes we have problems with it's servo horns braking and it's receiver losing contact for no apparent reason. it is an old bot now though. after three relatively successful events it is getting a bit old and tired. don't go too easy on it though because occasionally it'll go on a rampage and not stop until it's either pitted or flipped out all other robots in the arena. i'm planning to use territorial as a battle ant demonstration robot and my ants thunder and hogi for proper fighting. also planning to let some of the kids in the audience have short two minute goes probably with hogi. I let a little boy have a turn with territorial at an event before and he looked like he really enjoyed himself.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Hogi

Post by Hogi »

does anybody have any tips they could give me on how to build an antweight crusher. EG: what should I use to make the blade out of?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights