I'm giving up

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

I'm giving up

Post by haz »

....on the old thread :P 46 pages of rambling and failure is quite enough, so i'm starting a new build diary with less ramble and (hopefully) less failure.
I really, really was not impressed with my performance at the AWS, the lack of organisation and lack of effort put in to the design and construction of my robots was really obvious. Antweights at the moment are incredible, so many boundaries are being pushed and new technology are being abused in order to create such wonders in 150g, and I want in on that. My aim is not to just build as many robots as I can, and then have them all break down and utterly fail, but to have a crack at doing things properly. Probably I'll only be doing a couple of antweights, but will be trying to make them as good and as reliable as possible while making them a bit special and different.
If you can't be the best, be unique :P
I'm giving up on doing Roaming Robots/RobotWars/Robots Live events for the time being, and will probably end up selling my featherweight(http://www.bigconkers.com/projects/gene ... t/massacre) to fund antweight/life related things until I can get a job(pfft)
Any people who have me on MSN/skype would have had me talk at them about this before. I think it will be an interesting experiment to see what I can do. I will have a fair amount of antweight parts up for sale at somepoint, like a lot of misc gear motors and some escs. I accumulate a lot of stuff, and some of it I can't really use properly so its a good idea it goes to a new home.

Now, to business. As many of you will know I can't fleaweights very well, so i'm trying a different approach than "cobble surplus parts together and wonder why it fails to move" basically shrinking down some antweight ideas down into a 3" cube. Using legit components and everything :wink: . This and the Eggbeater are sort of going to be trial runs to see if I can work with this new style of building.

Behold the wrath of dual servo lifter fleaweight! (more likely fat clusterbot partner, but a boy can dream)
look, it fits in the cube and everything! I even bothered to check beforehand :P

Tremble in fear of the mighty eggbeater!

you never know, it might go well :lol: Chances are it won't but should be entertaining either way. Prepare yourselves for half baked stupidity in a 4" cube :)

(I apologize for being greedy and wanting two threads, if you the old one locked or deleted that's cool)
Psychostorm

Re: I'm giving up

Post by Psychostorm »

Featherweight? What about Murphy's law?
haz

Post by haz »

Murphy's law was somewhat recycled into Massacre.
sidon100uk

Post by sidon100uk »

I feel like meant to give up!!!!!!!! Just received my bit in the mail and on first attempted to connect it together I blew up my receiver!!!!!!! Bloody last time I follow some prat on YouTube!
haz

Post by haz »

Was that prat me by any chance :P
What happened mate?
sidon100uk

Post by sidon100uk »

http://db.tt/g1tsA5t7
I was putting these items together and had the working then I dropped them and when I reconnected the battery I must have done it wrong as there was a pop.
But a video I was watching said you can't get and wire wrong and if you do nothing bad happens.
haz

Post by haz »

Were you running a 2 cell directly into the rx? because that would kill that and the servos dead.
sidon100uk

Post by sidon100uk »

Is that even though it worked before? As you can see from the picture I only the battery only has a 2 pin plug. How should I plug it in? As I now cant remember the correct and incorrect way.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

Positive should be on the middle pin and negative closest to the edge, you might want to see if you can swap the battery connector for a three pin one so plugging it in the wrong way round just won't work rather than blowing up something
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

There should be some symbols on the side of the reciever where the pins are looking somewhat like this:

(n) (+) (-)

which line up with the three rows of pins - (n) is the signal wire (white/yellow), (+) is positive (red), and (-) is negative (black/brown/I hope I've got the colours right!)

Hopefully that will help - in the meantime, don't feel bad, these things happen to everyone more often than you think!

Also, great looking designs Harry, as I've told you many a time :) good luck with doing things properly, and let me know if you need help!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"