Die Gracefully Robots and Team Horse Power News

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Die Gracefully Robots and Team Horse Power News

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Fleas!

Sneeze!

Where Are We Sleeping Tonight, Mother? In Father's Grave?

You're Micro Lionel Richie, Stop Coming to My Microhouse!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Frustrating status update.

So, due to the disappointing lack of spinners at the last AWS, my plan for the next one was to enter 4 spinners, regardless of how likely they'd be to win fights. Ordered the stuff and everything. However, it appears Hobbyking and the great British postal system are conspiring against me and my order seems to have been lost. I now have to wait 30 days whilst they try trace the parcel, which takes me a bit too close to the event to get everything going proper for my liking, so it looks like my 4 team spinner project will have to wait for the one after.

I guess this is just a rant because blah blah blah poo. Oh well. Flippers and Dibby then.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
ajw

Post by ajw »

That's a shame Dave. My latest parcel from Hobbyking has also gone missing, so i'm in the same boat as you. I've had to wait 6 weeks before they would investigate, and have just entered the 30 day resolution period. Good luck!
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I have to say I'm loving the 4 spinners plan, especially since it's coming from you :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

It will happen, just not for the next one, unless its found soon. I'll build Gemma's team first to try and extend the time.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Really sorry to be a pain, please would it be possible for you to post up a few pictures of Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia in depth? Really intrigued as to how the flipper on it works and the whole robot appears to sort of open in half!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Well, me being me, it's no longer in one piece, as I build new robots for each event, but it never photographed that well anyway. The best way to see it working would be to watch the AWS video on YouTube.
There really wasn't much to it, just a load of components strapped to a single piece of HDPE.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Had an idea, built a mad thing. It has been partly a success and partly a failure. Success because, technically, it worked - it expanded as it should, it has full function control and the flipper worked. Failure because the motion is fairly pathetic and the minute it picks anything up it will no longer drive due to the weight pushing down the front. I did think about entering it into the AWS regardless of its uselessness, but my competitiveness has kicked in and I want to build something out of the parts that I can at least drive about without crisis. But before I disassemble it, I thought I'd take some pics. Haven't given up entirely on the concept, it has given ideas, so maybe something will surface for the AWS. Just not this useless thing.
Anyways, here's Project Batwing.
Starts all folded, expands with a simple raise of the flipper.
Picture 1 is the fully expanded robot. Picture 2 is the same with the flipper raised. Picture 3 is the start of fight position. Picture 4 is it in the cube.
Fun facts -
Nearly 12 inches wide when expanded
150g
Can self-right from any position
Is complete rubbish
Attachments
Fully expanded
Fully expanded
Project Batwing1.jpg (324.37 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
Flipper up
Flipper up
Project Batwing3.jpg (294.6 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
Folded up start position
Folded up start position
Project Batwing2.jpg (314.38 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
4 inch cube
4 inch cube
Project Batwing4.jpg (316.74 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

that might not be as useless as you say Dave. at the last AWS Scott had put more walls on the dropoff sides of his arena and if you can make a robot that expands large enough it'll be physically impossible for you to get pushed out as your robot will be bigger than the dropoff gap. i've gatta attempt to do something like this with one of mine! awesome! hope hobbyking sort themselves out “ it's taken three million years to catch up? yeah, about average for 2nd class post...” quote from red dwarf series two that i thought had particular comical relevence here.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Remote-Controlled Dave

There's not much point being hard to be pushed out if you're a sitting duck whilst in the arena though. Anyway, its gone now. Was fun to build but not competitive enough.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39