Jon's Cheerful Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Re: Jon's Cheerful Robots

Post by bitternboy »

Just an update to say I haven't dissapeared. I've left college and got a gap year job in the cambridge science park which has made me crazy busy. As a result, expect an unfortunate dip in my attendance to events but hopefully a jump in robot quality; the company I'm at has some rather lovely and pricey equipment I'm free to use :wink:
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Today I recieved some rather lovely black anodised aluminium. Delerious V2 is gonna look SHWEEEEEEET!
Also a rather fancy EDF-claw-bot called BaauerBird is under construction, I'm determined this is the year I make it into an AWS Final.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Hey, I've been working on getting my EDF up and running and honestly it's a bit weedy. It's quoted as producing 72 grams of thrust at 8.4V but so far the most I've been able to get out of it is 15g and when fitted into the chassis it gives less than 10g :(
I'm using a 25C, 450mah, 2cell hyperion LiPo and this EDF -> http://www.aeorc.cn/products/motor/edf- ... w5Qg_l_tx0
Can anyone give me any advice on boosting the thrust?
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Woah, did I just write that without realising the C rating on the battery wasn't nearly high enough? Guess I'll need a better battery then :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

The battery sounds like it should be fine, unless I'm missing something? 450mah at 25C is 11.25A, and the stats on that website say the fan only needs 4.9A, so it should be fine. Silly question, but it is running the right way up isn't it? Do you have a picture of your set up?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Apologies, I made a mistake and thought the battery could supply 1.125A as oppose to 11.25A :roll: It's been a long day...
At the moment I have it running clockwise which I'm pretty sure is right, it's definitely pushing air in the right direction and making a lot of noise.
I'll put a picture up tomorrow but there's not much to it really, although I suppose the intake is pretty close to the ground which might restrict airflow.
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Jonathan Atkinson
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

HI!
Looks great, man, that's a lot of holes!!
If the fan is being run it the same orientation as in the pic, the fan spinning correctly will move air downwards lifting up the robot. If you want to reverse the flow, reversing the direction of the motor will give you only limited success. What I found was that lifting off the fan part, turning it upside down, (trimming down the domed section) and pushing it back on, is the best way to get the flow in the right direction. Or you could just turn the assembly upside down. :)
The original Fantom fan the edf unit upside down, but since then, I have removed the fan, trimmed it, and re installed it the other way up. It might explain why the airflow is in the right direction, but not as efficient as you would expect?

Hope that makes sense, Jim. :)
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Aah, I had a sneaking suspicion just running it backwards would result in problems. I'll flip the EDF for the moment and run it the correct way and see if I can flip and trim the fan after the AWS.
Thanks a bundle :D
Jonathan Atkinson
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

:)
Looking forward to seeing it in action.
And it's a "Claw-bot" ?????? :o
Brilliant!