Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by peterwaller »

After the testing against the old chassis I noticed the balance wasn't quite as good and on closer examination I found the PLA disc had cracked so I have reprinted it in nylon.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Having built a new spinner Flea I know there is little opportunity to run it so I have built a new flipper which although not flea sized is around the right weight so the two can be combined as an antweight cluster.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I went to the TCT exhibition at the NEC yesterday (3D Printing stuff) and got few sample materials to try. The first from Fillammntum is CPE HG100 which is a modified PETG material which is supposed to be strong with good impact resistance. So I have reprinted the major parts of my new cluster flipper to try out. It prints really nicely at 260 C in a rather nice understated shade of Neon Yellow Transparent.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Did some testing at Robonerd yesterday with rather mixed results. I tried the yellow material above against a drum spinner and it failed quite quickly as did a PLA chassis I tried on my Drum spinner. The new Flea spinner seemed to keep losing bind but on the plus side the balance on Combatant was really good although it didn't actually do battle. Looks like a bit of work to do before the AWS.
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

At least some things have been sorted then.
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

peterwaller wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 amI tried the yellow material above against a drum spinner and it failed quite quickly
That's a shame - that colour is amazing! 8)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The new circuit boards eventually arrived from Ragworm (29 days).
These use the larger 5 amp drivers and the new board combines the receiver, motors, power switch and servo and power connectors.
The boards I ordered from PCBWay in China arrived in less than a week and were cheaper.
These use the DRV8872 drivers which are 3.6 A but much smaller. The board doesn't include the motors but you can piggyback the 20 A Afro brushless controller.
This second version I have incorporated into the newer version of Combatant which I have had to reduce in size to get it to fit the cube.
I have also replaced the 3D printed disc with one I cnc'd in 3.2 mm fibreglass.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Doing a bit of a rework on my drum spinner. I have modified the casing for my new 5 A controller to take the Afro 20 A brushless board.
I am redoing the drum in fibreglass sections which I have made on my small CNC mill.
I have also redesigned the chassis which was too flexible in Nylon . I have tried printing it in a combination of nylon with PLA stiffening sections but although in prints nicely in the two materials the nylon does't really adhere to the PLA.
I have just ordered some new filaments from France ABS with Polycarb and ABS with Kevlar I will let you know how I get on when they arrive.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The ABS with Kevlar prints really nicely at 260 C on a table at 90 C. I have reprinted the new design for my drum spinner in it but only time will tell how resilient it is. I have reduced the belt drive pulley which has halved the drum speed and improved the balance a bit but there is still vibration. The only down side I have found so far for the new filament is the colour a sort of yellowish off white but you can't have everything.
Hopefully will get to test it on Saturday in darkest Dorset.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The drum spinner went out before it faced a spinner but as a test I had printed the flipper on my elastic powered flipper in both the ABS with Kevlar and the ABS with Polycarb and after the main event put them up against a really nice vertical spinner. The first thing that became apparent was that the flipper wasn't quite getting fully down which meant the spinner could get under the front which was a definite problem as not many 1.5 mm thick plastics withstand a decent spinner. Initially it appeared that the ABS with Polycarb (the white in the photos)was the more resilient as it appeared less damaged,
But on closer examination the flipper plate in ABS with Polycarb survived because it delaminated from the supports and was able flex more. The ABS with the Kevlar showed absolutely no delamination and so is the better material.
The green line on the kevlar was supplied by Mr Shakey.