Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

DieGracefullyRobotics

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Very nice as usual, Peter. I'm going to have to read back through your thread to see what you've been up to.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Looks great! :D really inspiring as the design in a similar principle to what im trying to build at the moment!
Can i ask how heavy the chassis was to hold all the parts? And also the brand of drive ESCs. That's the last part in struggling with (Shakey's ESCs are out of stock)

Using the toothed belt rather than smooth tensioned belt is better?
Weapon test video! :D
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The chassis came out at around 27 gms, the drive esc is an own designed module see page 44 of this thread.
As expected with a 3D printed drum there is some vibration as below.
https://youtu.be/SLzzJnImguo
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Oo thanks Pete! 27g is great to know, now i just have to match that weight for my bot ahhaha :S

That video looks vicious, fingers staying clear of that! :lol:

Thanks, off to page 44 i go!
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The sharp eyed amongst you probably noticed that although the latest drum spinner was printed mostly in nylon the two belt drive gears were still in polycarbonate as it generally gives a more detailed finish. I have been getting such good results from the combination of my new printer and Cura2 that I decided to try printing the gear in nylon and it has come out very nicely see shot through my microscope camera without any cleaning up.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

What are the advantages of printing in nylon? Can all printers do it?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The main advantages certainly with Alloy 910 Nylon is strength and impact resistance.It needs to be printed at 250 - 260 C so it really needs a printer with an all metal head although I have been using it with a Prusa i3 with a PTFE insert but they do deteriorate after a while and need replacing. The disadvantages are the very flexibility that makes it resilient to impacts means it is sometimes not stiff enough in some structural applications and its hard to get it to stick to the glass printer bed, I use glue stick.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have got out of the habit of posting much lately so on the offchance that someone is interested here is a quick catch up.
Finally finished the drum spinner. It was a couple of gms over with just a 120 mah battery so I reduced the scoop on the front and managed t get a 180 mah battery in and stay within the weight limit.
Talking of larger batteries I have been modding a couple of my drive all day robots so they last longer by putting in a 370 mah battery.
The first I was able to just tack it on top.
But the second I needed to rebuild from scratch.
I have also finally replaced the temporary arena lid support for one made of polycarb with 3D printed higes and latches.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

All looks fantastic Pete! Looking forward to seeing that drum spinner. Has it got a name yet and will it feature at the AWS?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I haven't actually tried it against anything yet but assuming that goes well it will replace one of my horizontal spinners at the AWS so will be either Anticyclone or Combatant.