Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kaazmin

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by Kaazmin »

Looking Great, is it detachable so it can be put on other robots?? also how protected is the back, is the armour you use strong. because if a spinner hits the back it might disable the whole robot.
Geoffreybath

Post by Geoffreybath »

Does look very well done nice and compact
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Its not really detachable as it is held in with double sided tape on this one.
Because the first two are for my granddaughters they are not full combat so are just in ABS they would need a bit more material and made in nylon for full combat.
The other granddaughter likes blue or orange but the sample of blue I had ran out before I finished so I mixed the two colours which worked out better than expected.
Geoffreybath

Post by Geoffreybath »

The colours are very trendy :)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just been updating Combatant my Anticyclone clone.
The weapon motor mount was too flexible causing the spinner blade to rub in various places stopping it from being effective.
Also on taking it apart I found the wheels were a little loose and had moved inwards where they were chewed by the blades.
The new chassis is much stiffer around the mount but due to the introduction of honeycomb at the rear I have saved 10 gms.
The red dye came out much better using it stronger and for longer but I had coloured the tyres assuming it would be pinkish again.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Combatant did reasonably well in the last AWS after a bad start.
I made the tyres too soft and when my robot was pushed sideways they deformed so much that my own spinner blade shredded them.
But once I obtained a couple of replacements from Alex things went a lot better.
Another slight problem was the amount of flex in the spinner motor mount due to it being nylon.
So I have done a further update printing it in polycarbonate and fitting a new spinner motor to try to improve this.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Not exactly an Antweight but look what my daughter bought me for my golden wedding anniversary.
OK its not gold but it is shiny and really neat and all held together with tabs pushed through slots then bent over.
If you are not a starwars fan it is C-3PO and the leg, which is all I have built so far, is 60 mm long or almost an hour.(14 parts)
It comes as two etched sheets.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Many hours later.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As I mentioned to a few of you at the last AWS I am writing a book about designing small combat robots and it seems to be progressing reasonably well but I am unsure about how to publish it. It would be aimed at people starting out in robots but also include the more technical side of the electronics and control system. I can just do it as an e-book but I don't know how many people have a colour kindle or other readers or who like me find print on paper easier, all be it more expensive, for this type of factual information. So I would be interested to know what do people think would be the best format even if they have no intention of buying a copy.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Amazon/create space do a print on demand paperback service that goes 70/30 on the proceeds. I've used it before for a couple things and the finished product is a pretty nice quality.

The formatting etc for it can be time consuming but isn't especially technical.

Also it can be released on Kindle simultaneously.

Check out createspace's site.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot