Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by peterwaller »

The speed has me worried also the forces generated could certainly cause breakages until I try something out I can only guess how strong they will be.
There is the option of slowing the motor but that would reduce the stored energy but by either using a smaller diameter motor/bigger cam or having the rubber sleeve on a wheel mounted on the motor shaft the gearing could be easily introduced.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I was just getting the robots ready for Antfreeze and found one of the trims on my Dx6i was broken.
The first thought was to repair it and this was done with a small piece of red ABS glued in to support the broken arm.
This made it match the other side which I had repaired previously but then I decided to print a new part thickening up the weak part of the arms as below.
Last edited by peterwaller on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Lucky senior moment.
I ordered some small needle bearings from ebay labeled single way clutch miniature roller bearings.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231617246630? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I miss understood this to mean roller bearings suitable for a single way clutch. :oops:
They are in fact roller bearings that turn in one direction but lock in the reverse direction which I haven't seen before.
For the application I wanted them for they only need to turn one way so as long as I fit them carefully it won't matter but I can't help feeling they could be very useful I just need to think of the right application. :roll:
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just finished the rebuild of Anticyclone and Combatant with new printed chassis.
Combatant had lost all the front under scoop which never worked very well so that is removed and the Ti blade is upgraded to 2mm thick as per Anticyclone.
Anticyclone has had the walls thickened and the polycarbonate reinforcing up rated from 0.75mm to 1.5mm and the blade resharpened.
Without the scoop on Combatant they look even more similar see below.
Last edited by peterwaller on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Hard to tell which is which.. :P Looks like Bad Idea'll have to try harder next time :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Rapidrory wrote:Hard to tell which is which.. :P Looks like Bad Idea'll have to try harder next time :L
And whatever robots i have when antfreeze 3 happens will have to not switch off halfway through the match :P
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Can't quite remember which robots did the damage at antfreeze 2.5 but the poly carb jammed one wheel causing the controller running on three cells to burn out.
I swapped controllers between rounds but eventually the spinner stopped working due I found out afterwards to the blade coming loose and rubbing on the chassis.
Still it was out by then and it would probably have got even more damage in the annihilator.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I feel swapping the controller out was pushing the 5 minute fight delay a little far, but hey you didn't manage to break my other robots too much after that so I wasn't too worried :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes I probably wouldn't get away with that at an AWS.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

You could just swap one robot for the other and hope no-one notices.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39