Deltang Receivers / Controllers

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Re: Deltang Receivers / Controllers

Post by earthwormjim »

I have a robot running on one of these controllers, at a regulated 5v.And it is fast enough, IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbgr7hiS ... ature=plcp
You can buy extra boards for these controllers,and run the motors at up to 10v,but Murray runs fine on 5v.
If you feel it is under powered,you could always retro-fit the boards! :)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

A 5 cell NiCd or NiMh pack can definitely exceed the 6v max so I would either use a regulator or a 4 cell pack.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Peter,is Alsoran still using 1 lipo cell???
How do you rate it? That would be a nice easy solution?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Alsoran is using one lipo cell driving the motors in two 5 gms servo's with all the electronics removed.
It is fairly slow at about 4v and probably not much pushing power but all it needs to do is move enough to stay away from Combatant.
Geearofwar

Post by Geearofwar »

Cheers for the advice :) I've ordered a 4 cell, so I guess the acid test will be the AWS. Should be done by next week as long as I can get the programming down!
Team DisConstructor
Jordan Geear, Driver of Antimatter and Red Dwarf
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-DC-A ... 1703987819
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat, but it is related to Deltang recievers!

I've put a RX31 into Zenith, as I wanted to save a little bit of weight so I could add something to help it self-right. However, I cannot for the life of me get my brushless ESC (Pheonix 10) working on the throttle channel. It works fine on one of the other channels, so I'm sure the ESC isn't the problem. I've tried 2 different RX31's, and have gone through the programming on both to ensure that the settings are correct, but I just can't get the ESC to "arm", which is what it does at the bottom of throttle travel. I've checked the travel of the throttle vs the channel I got it working on (ailerons) on the DX6i's "monitor" screen, and the travel of the throttle channel is about the same, if not slightly more than the ailerons. I've even tried increasing the travel, putting the trims right to the end, binding with throttle up, throttle down, throttle middle, trims in every position, etc. and I just can't get the ESC to arm.

Has anyone experiences any similar woes with the RX31, or does anyone have any idea how I might resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I haven't experienced this problem and the previous version of combatant had an RX31 driving a brushless controller on the throttle channel.
What I did have problems with was on one of my controllers that had a servo plugged into the throttle channel and altough the servo worked OK the load on the output reduced the output signal enough so my processor didn't see the pulses. I fixed that by a pull up resistor (about 4k7) from the output to the 5 v.
This may not be the same problem but it could be worth a try although I don't know why it should be different from say the aileron output which you say works.
I have just checked the old combatant and the output signal is about 3v.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Pete, you're a lifesaver. Popped a 4k7 resistor between the +5v and the signal wire on the brushless ESC, and bam, worked straight away.

I'm somehow ready for a big event 4 days in advance...this feels strange.

Edit: I also e-mailed the board's designer asking for advice, and had this back:
Hi Scott,
Thanks for buying my receivers and sorry for the problem. The pads for Ch1 and 2 are used for programming the chip and only have weak pullups for creating the high part of PPM pulses. Some ESCs need a stronger highs. I suspect this is the issue. Some options:

1. Use the Tx to make thottle appear on another output. Probably difficult with the Dx6i.

2. I can change the Rx program to swop ports. I'd probably reverse the order of all the pads. You'd have to send your receivers back for the new program to be installed. I live in the UK.

3. I can swop the Rx31 you have for the new version Rx31d. This has a resistor to help pull the port high which is how Spektrum use that port. Disadvantage is the new version is slightly larger.

4. Try a different ESC.

My instinct is to try option 2 next but let me know your thoughts.
Regards, David.
Awesome to know that the customer service is fantastic :). Although he mentions both channels 1 and 2 being used for programming, there's obviously some difference between them, as channel 2 is the aileron on which it worked fine. I guess the thing to do in future is to use the Rx31d for things with brushless controllers, just to be safe. It would also be good to have a list of ESCs that we know do and don't work with the RX31 on the throttle channel.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I am glad it worked out and yes the service provided by David at Deltang both on delivery and help / advice is really great.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Im having some trouble with my rx31it was working but it stopped so I binded or bound it again but the motors dont respond, any thoughts?