All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

joey_picus

Team Picus build diary

Post by joey_picus »

The Team Picus Year MMXII Robot Construction & Repair Diary
with apologies for large images

Hiya roboteers ^^

As most of you are aware, I am now what Peter Waller refers to as a 'poor university student' so my opportunities for constructing robots are a bit more limited, but after being ill over the Christmas period - as everybody in attendance at Snibston unfortunately experienced, apologies for that >_< - I have resolved to try and be a little bit more productive and, more importantly, finish at least some of the projects I start.

Also, there's a build diary bandwagon leaving and I'm jumping on it, hehe :) so here you may find updates on the status and plans for all my robots (except Spall).

JIGSAW

Presently, Jigsaw looks like this:

I have been making some attempts to fix the damage sustained against Variant at Snibston (note to self: the correct way of dealing with a deadly embrace with one of Peter's spinny things does *not* involve opening the flipper right into said rotating mass, heh) and it's just awaiting a new flipper linkage and a few new bolts. After that, hopefully it can be competitive, and if I can get it self righting I might start to allow myself one eye on the AWS trophy again...^^

Aim for 2012: Attempt to keep it in one piece! This may involve some creative driving should Kwijebo show itself...^^;

CATATONIA

Catatonia has been going pretty well so far, it is somehow the Fleaweight World Series champion and if the truth be told there's nothing I desperately want to change about it. :) It could be a little bit faster - maybe one day I shall replace the gearbox motors with HP versions and see how that goes - but for now no changes are planned, just keep on fightin' ^^

Aim for 2012: As with Jigsaw, keep it in one piece and hopefully keep it competitive.

ARCUS

Aim for 2012: Try and throw the Leveson Inquiry off the scent...

NEW (ISH) ROBOTS:

THE HURTING*:

Some people know about this from MSN as I have been talking about it for a while, but I have made some steps towards building this:

<picture withheld due to lack of artistic ability; suffice to say, imagine Hazard, only stripy, and with two less wheels and as an antweight, heh ^^;>

The concept is best described as 'a big Catatonia with a big spinning thing on top', or more specifically 50:1 HP gearmotors on Scalextric wheels for drive with Waller, Spektrum, and Ripmax electronics and an Axi motor powering the weapon, made of polycarbonate and titanium and lots of hacked apart VHS cases. :) In theory this will be something to fear, but in practice my track record with spinners (Little Yellow Taxi) is not great and...well...it's a Team Picus robot, the idea of it causing damage to anyone is a bit outlandish XD

Aim for 2012: Get it built and hopefully spinning and fighting by the March AWS, or failing that the summer.

HIDE AND SEEK*:

This is sort of cheating as technically, it's not really mine:

The more observant amongst you will recognise this as being Josh Valman's former fleaweight, which after a brief sojourn with Team Shock has found itself in my possession. Me being me, I managed to end up ordering about £100 worth of new components for it, so when I'm done hopefully all that remains of what I bought is the design, the battery, and the quite ("Hexy" - Uncle Joe Stalin) carbon fibre shell. ^^ The MG90 servos, electronics and chassis will all be new hopefully, I have enlisted Josh to get me some new parts printed :)

Aim for 2012: Get it built hopefully in time for the March AWS, or potentially even earlier.

THINGS WHICH MAY HAPPEN:

The Data Fields: I have ordered many new parts for this but it's taken a slight back seat to The Hurting, antweight-wise; I hope to be able to come back to this in the summer.

Possible walker: I have some very large continuous rotation servos and a lot of 40mhz gear which I picked up with the intention of constructing a walker; as with T.D.F. though it has to wait until time and motivation allows. ^^;

Featherweight: It has been pointed out to me that I have, over the years, accumulated enough parts and material for at least three separate featherweights, but a combination of lack of inspiration and some disillusionment with the current featherweight scene has kept it as parts and material. Whether they end up as three featherweights or as some great giveaway of parts is yet to be determined, but I can't see a conclusion being reached any time soon.

Hopefully this can be educational for some people as well as helping to motivate me - even if in the field of 'this is not how to construct radio controlled fighting machines in a safe and correct manner' - and I apologise to everyone who read this far for making you read the tired ramblings of a learned lazy long-haired layabout from Lancaster :)

*yes, these are named for songs ^^ there will be a cookie for whoever gets them!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
earthwormjim

Re: Team Picus build diary

Post by earthwormjim »

Welcome aboard Joey! :)
Nice to hear from you. Looking forward to reading about your progress.
They all sound excellent. :)
haz

Post by haz »

yay4joey :P
you have a wonderful way with words, should really build a feather.... or 3 :D
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Thanks for the comments, it means a lot :) Unfortunately, the best laid plans of mice and...erm...Joeys went quite awry as Lancaster University had other ideas about uses of my time and resources, so the new machines are going to have to be an Easter project. I have however got the main two robots ready and improved:

PRE-AWS37 UPDATE

Catatonia: Apart from a bit of knife work to get it running slightly better inverted, it looks more or less the same as it did before so I shaln't clog up the thread with new pictures :) it's running well, although the motors are still a bit slow for my liking.

Jigsaw:

Your eyes decieve you not, aside from my increasing fondness for knitwear, Jigsaw has gained some extra armour (0.5mm carbon fibre) and now looks a lot shinier and generally better :) I'm hoping it stays this way for a bit, I'm really happy with how it's turned out. The flipper also works very well and it's even within the cube so I hope to be able to add acetate!

Here's hoping to a good performance and (perhaps more importantly) at least mostly intact robots in Reading...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Not sure about the knitware but the robot is looking good. :cry:
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Very snazzy all round,Joey. :D
Jigsaw is looking particularly groovy.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

POST-AWS37 UPDATE

The event was a bit mixed for me - I had a fantastic time, as ever, but Jigsaw didn't do as well as I hoped it would - I have traced this to, ultimately, a lack of driving practice, which I hope to rectify by going to more events :) It did do respectably though,finishing inside the top 30 overall, and Catatonia - after hitting every fleaweight spinner presently fighting with its wheels and developing a hole in the underside - came third, which won me a hat, and perhaps most importantly both robots need minimal repairs to be ready for the next event. ^_^

As I am now on an Easter break, however, I have been able to work on something...

HIDE AND SEEK

(for those unaware of the significance of the name, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GG7kKmozY shall enlighten you ^^)

This has been, while a total nightmare as far as wiring goes (Josh Valman is, I have concluded, an electronic alchemist of epic proportions), really fun and educational to work on, as I've been using servo drive and the Giant Cod recievers for the first time as well as 3D printing. The former two were really good to work with and I'd like to make more robots utilising them, while the latter...it's probably better on other peoples' robots, I lack the skills or desire to make all my robots that complex.

It's not quite done (the build process is summarised at my Photobucket) but here's what it looks like now, with a temporary carbon fibre flipper:

I'm quite proud of it considering only the battery, a lead on the regulator, and the flipper hinge bar remain of what I purchased :) eventually it will get a proper bodyshell with a Ti flipper, but this is how it'll fight at the Sly Practice and SAC.

The Hurting is next on the list, followed by a miniature Haar...um...potentially another project ^^

---

As a postscript, can anyone enlighten me on sources of carbon fibre sheet? The only places I'm aware of are MUTR/Mindsets (too thin for what I want to do) or Robot Marketplace in the States (shipping!)
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I have been using these gents for c/f recently.I have had a couple of bits from them recently,and they have been good. It seems to be fairly flexible,but I think that is a ggod thing.
I have no idea what attracted me to his ebay shop!!! :oops: :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/hotmail201020 ... 4340.l2562
Nice work BTW,Joey.
Looking forward to catching up at the SAC. :)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The Hurting
I wish to retract my earlier statements - having finished all the electronics on this thing, I am genuinely scared of turning it on...

(clicky the picture, or here, for more pictures and annotations ^^)

Other News
Jigsaw did well at the Sly Practice, coming first in the competition, although as there were only six robots (some of whom, due to sharing transmitters, couldn't fight each other) this should maybe not be an absolute indicator of future performance :) it was a great event though, and pleasingly Hide and Seek turns out to be very quick and controllable with a fair bit of torque - I'm definitely getting some more MG90s!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

PRE-AWS UPDATE
This is just a quick update as I have sleep to catch up on, but here is The Hurting, in all its finished and out of focus glory:

And here is a quick team picture ^^
Back row: Jigsaw V, Mortimer the good luck moogle, The Hurting
Front row: Hide and Seek, Head over Heels, Catatonia

*crosses fingers desperately for tomorrow*