Evil Pig Sty

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Nuclear

Evil Pig Sty

Post by Team Nuclear »

Hi,

I'm currently rebuilding and designing my ants so this will be the thread that all my antweight realted stuff will go to.

I'm rebuilding evil pig sty atm because it doesnt work and falls apart.
We are going to make the chasis 10mm longer and 5mm higher and get it 3d printed.
we are going to make the wheels bigger and use scalextrics tyres as they are smaller and lighter.
The axe is going to be a piece of 1mm stainless steel or a scapel blade driven by 2x 50:1 HP motors
we are also thinking of ditching the sabertooth and getting a Peter Waller type A board to control the drive.
This is the CAD atm:
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Evil Pig Sty

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Looks good, though I'm not sure what difference 2 motors will have on an axe. Not enough to be significant weight-wise I'd guess. But will be interesting to see. I would ditch the Sabretooth if you can, they are pretty heavy if you're just using them for a 2WD set up, though you will naturally need 2 speedos, one for drive, one for the weapon. Getting the two weapon motors to act in unison could be problematic too. Good luck!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

If he can get them to sync properly he can use a lower gear ratio on the motor due to the extra torque and have a faster axe.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Unless it's something you can put up with, having the wheels very far back has the effect of making the front of the robot harder to control.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Why not just have 2 axes? Even if they just act as one, if one was slightly out of sync it wouldn't matter as much as if you just had 2 motors and one axe.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Nuclear

Post by Team Nuclear »

Yeah i'm dithching the sabertooth,
I could use only one axe for the motor as that is better, but I would like to use 2 as you get twice the power
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
Remote-Controlled Dave

I'm not sure it would give twice the power to the axe. The power behind the axe is to do with the speed of the motor and the weight of the hammer. Two motors wouldn't give any more speed than one. They would be able to throw an axe with a greater weight, but as the effect against other ants would be minimal anyway, you have to wonder if its worth the extra expense/engineering to get it going. If you think it is then go for it, I'm not saying don't. I just don't think it'll make that much difference IMO.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39