Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by Shakey »

This is vital to getting my team working for the aws right?
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Very nicely done. Well done for getting all the panels off and back on again! Those D/R panels on the top are way too easy to ruin.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

earthwormjim wrote:Very nicely done. Well done for getting all the panels off and back on again! Those D/R panels on the top are way too easy to ruin.
Thankyou, I covered them in tape before I sprayed them. This was a test on my broken DX6i. I'll switch it to my actual DX6i after the AWS aswell as rejig my trigger mod. :D

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Since I'm back online: The post AWS team post thing.

AWS47 was a pretty good one for Team Shakey. There was far less robot explosions then normal as well as being a generally fun event.

Carbon
Eh, I ran out of time to redo Carbon, it was going in for a major overhaul but ICBINS took most my build time so it got bodged together. Still did alright but not particularly well, the running theme of Carbon. It will now be retired and a new robot will take its place whatever it may be especially with ICBINS taking over flipper duty in a far more spectacular fashion. Might be pneumatic if I can sort it out since I've ordered all the parts.

ROFLSTOMP
(Picture of the underside)
A very fun robot to drive even if I can rarely make up my mind over which end to use. The spinner was disappointing though so I will be mounting it vertically as that seemed to work well before (being hexa-choppers old blade). I'm going to aim to make the other end active but haven't figured out how yet.

Test Robot Please ignore
IT DIDN@T CAUSE ITSELF TO EXPLODE! The new thicker ABS chassis with dual weapon support allowed it to deal much bigger hits without destroying itself and produced some excellent battles. It got a lot further in the contest than I expected before finally being put out by Why Wait. It does have a bad problem with Gyroing though so I am aiming to fix that with a not too drastic redesign for next time. Oh and finally printing a battery cover to remove the last bit of structural tape :P

I Can't Believe It's Not Stanley (ICBINS)
The successor to Stanley performed very well and I am very happy with how it works. A few small tweaks to make as there are a few things I learnt from fighting it, quirks to the design and a couple of errors, the design it ran in at the AWS was CADed after a good amount of time in the pub. ;) I can now be happy retiring Stanley with this robot picking up the team captain duties. It's a bit faster than Stanley and the flipper allows it to be much more aggressive in fights than before as there is no worry to being upside down now it has a fast self right. It's also cheaper to run than Stanley which was churning through HP motors at a steady rate. I built ICBINS for less than the cost of 2 of Stanleys drive motors! The build time was definitely worth it even if it was to Carbons detriment.

Fite Me M8 (I'll Shank Ya)
A silly bit of driving left it with 3rd in the nanos with Pete taking the well deserved first in the melee. I'm pretty happy with this robot, it has great speed and torque with a surprisingly effective grabber. I will be lengthening the grabber arm and giving it new silicone wheels for the new 60mm cube to help it control opponents better. I do need to sort some smaller electronics for nanos though as the lemon and 2 servo boards really hog space, I could also change the grabber to a smaller servo aswell and print it in ABS to save some more weight. I also had trouble with one gearbox occasionally locking up in fights so will have to rebuild them which is unfortunately a bit of a pain.

Planned Robots
I have planned for the nanos a spinner, another flipper nano to replace sharkbait and a tiny ICBINS just to see if I can all using the same Gen5 gearboxes as Fite me m8. For the antweights something a little more interesting with a new spinner planned that is essentially hexa-chopper MK2 but horizontal and a pneumatic antweight for the fun of it. I'm also building a *ahem*pyrotechnic device *cough*flamethrower*cough* ant just for fun.

Other Team Shakey Stuff
Design progresses on my own ESC's and we should be seeing those soon. Early specs are 1A continous, 2A peak 2-3cell (is a 4 cell capable motor drive but I don't really see that as necessary so I didn't build the rest for that, just a nice safety margin) with a peak 2A 6V BEC for servos. Designed to mount on the back of a lemon for a nice thin board.

My Heavyweight is still just sitting there awaiting the last few parts when I can afford them. As is my featherweight though that will probably be built relatively soon as just need to grab 2 motors, battery and have a small bit of machining done. Slowly mulling over a beetleweight aswell. Plus soapbox derbys, they look like a tonne of fun so I am aiming for one of the red bull events sometime next year :D

Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Make a baby Stanley an call it "I can't believe it's not stanflea"
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Bring back ROFLSTOMP!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Meet the all new 4WD ROFLSTOMP! Aka 'Stanley with a spinner on the back'
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Occashokka wrote:Make a baby Stanley an call it "I can't believe it's not stanflea"
I still don't have any plans to enter fleaweights yet, I don't know why. I just don't enjoy building them like I do ants or nanos. Though since I'm also planning a feather and a heavy ICBINS equivalent... :P
Remote-Controlled Dave wrote:Bring back ROFLSTOMP!
I am definitely aiming to bring it back. In what form I haven't figured out yet!

Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Shakey wrote:I still don't have any plans to enter fleaweights yet, I don't know why
TBH, Herbert was enough to put anyone off Fleaweights... *shivers*

You should build some though; gives you a chance to test crazy ideas without filling slots in your ant team :L
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Just a little upgrade for the printer that will allow me to print Nylon and Polycarbonate! :D