Re: New Roboteer!

Post by haz »

good luck taping a inflatable flower to this robot ceri :P
ajw

Post by ajw »

Psychostorm wrote:Bum?

Andrew, there is only one word I want to use: Tidy! *drumbeat*
It's probably more practical than Napalm Death, if that's any comfort to you.

Thanks to all for the compliments - I'll try not to get it too destroyed!
Surely getting destroyed is part of the authenticity of the robot? :)

Thanks everyone, I'm not familiar with Das bot and can't find any pictures to compare either Dave, but would be insterested to see the likeness.
Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

ajw wrote:
Psychostorm wrote:Andrew, there is only one word I want to use: Tidy! *drumbeat*
It's probably more practical than Napalm Death, if that's any comfort to you.

Thanks to all for the compliments - I'll try not to get it too destroyed!
Surely getting destroyed is part of the authenticity of the robot? :)
That's why I chose it :D
Thanks everyone, I'm not familiar with Das bot and can't find any pictures to compare either Dave, but would be insterested to see the likeness.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That's a later pic of Das Bot, I was thinking of the earlier, "more rustic" one. I'd find you a pic/video but I'm sat in Bristol Travelodge and internet is costly :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

Is that the one you meant?
I can really see the resemblance.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That's the puppy! :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
ajw

Post by ajw »

lol you're right, it is strangely similar. Good spot!
ajw

Post by ajw »

Following on from an enjoyable and slightly more successful AWS36 than I was expecting (I didn't lose every fight!) I'm now looking to start working on a third ant. This time I'm looking to upgrade to lipos instead of NiMhs for power. I've got a few questions about a few things I'm unsure about that I forgot to ask at AWS36, which relate to my lack of RC experience.....

Firstly, I notice liPos generally seem to have JST connectors. Is this because these have a higher current carrying capacity compared to the Futaba connectors I'm used to? Are there any implications in swapping the connector to Futaba style?

Also, given I chose to use a JST connector, are these compatible with a standard orange DSM2 receiver (I'll be regulating down to 6V anyway, but am just interested in the pitch compatibility etc....)

Finally, what LiPo chargers and batteries are everyone using at the moment? Again I forgot to take note at AWS36 unfortunately :oops:

I've been looking at the following possible combination:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Accuc ... 2a112482f0

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

Sorry for all the questions......turned into a bit of a marathon!

Cheers!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Hiya Andrew, was good to see you and your well built robots at the AWS :)

The charger you use looks good, and as for the batteries themselves I'm not certain, unless you run a spinner or see weight or size being a problem down to the last gramme/millimetre, that there's much practical difference between brands at this weight level - currently I use Hyperion 120mah and 180mah 2 cell packs from Micron (reccommended for price and the fact that Micron have the fastest delivery of anyone I've dealt with aside from Peter Waller!) but I have/still use some of their own brand EGO packs with no noticable performance difference.

Then again my charger's a cheap Pro Peak Quattro one that doesn't do balancing, which may level things XD

I can't speak for the compatibility with 'orange' recievers - or indeed the current capacity I'm afraid, I'm a geologist not an engineer! - but the pitch of the JST connectors looks virtually identical to servo connectors. Hope that all helps ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
ajw

Post by ajw »

hey Joey, nice to meet you too! - I'll reserve judgement on my robots build quality until I fight a spinner I think :)

I haven't actually got that charger but am considering that or an imx b6, though I hear there are imitiations of the imax floating around so I may avoid it. I was intrigued by the low cost of the battery I linked, but would consider any other lipo around that sort of price so thatnks for the link.

I'm not quite sure about the design of the next robot yet and whether it'll be a spinner or not, but I think LiPos are the next logical step in giving me a wider scope.