Driver needed!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Re: Driver needed!

Post by haz »

i don't think jack can come so im either looking for a partner to break the rules again, or im perfictly legit! :D
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

First of all Dave this was never intended to be personal and if that is the way it came over I am sorry. :-?
Second Rhys I cant argue with the clusterbot rule I have always, obviously now incorrectly, assumed that each bot was a clusterbot in its own right. :oops:
All I can say is that the rule, before the clusterbots were added, intentionally kept the number of robots for each team to four so they could go into different groups to avoid clashes until the later rounds and the adding of the clusterbots was a way to encourage the building of them not to give more drives to some roboteers.
I didn't notice Harry had more entries as well or I would have mentioned it.
The last thing I want is to stir up bad feelings so may I suggest that I shut up and we continue this event as the entries are and we discuss what people think the position should be at the committee meeting for future events.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I see your point about them being built just to give drivers an extra drive, but that's not the case with my cluster. I've always wanted build one, but the cost was always prohibitive. Now it can be done much cheaper, so I thought I'd give it a go. They are designed purely as an antweight clusterbot and to intentionally breach the fleaweight rules, so that they will always be seen as a true clusterbot, rather than just a fleaweight tag-team. As they are fully self contained, they shouldn't cause any issues with clashes in the group stages. But as you said, we can have a look at the AWS and if there's any major issues, they can be addressed in rules 4.2.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I know I said I should shut up but I seemed to have put my foot in it again and I feel bad enough about this already.
I wasn't suggesting that anyone had built a clusterbot just to give extra drives I was trying to say that it was to encourage people to build them but because we didn't fully specify it we had built in a loophole that wasn't intended.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Firstly, I must apologise to Peter. I've reread that post and it came out a lot harsher than intended. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment and it seemed to spill out into my writing. I definitely don't think you're targeting me or anything like that. It just seems like every time I make a post, you object.

I also didn't offer my help to Rhys just so I got to drive an extra robot. I did it to help him out, mostly because he knows me, he knows I'm an alright driver, we've teamed up before, and its difficult to put your robot into the hands of someone on the forum that you don't really know, so I thought I'd offer. I really didn't see it as an issue, because I've done it many times before. If there is an objection, then obviously I'll withdraw my offer, but I don't actually believe there is anything in the rules saying I can't. If people think there should be, then we can add it. Maybe something along the lines of "a clusterbot counts for one entry for each of the people it takes to drive it in combat", though I personally would be opposed to this, as it seems unfair on the person who's gone to the trouble of building it.

If the vote goes that way, then it definitely needs to be less ambiguous, as Rhys says. But adding a rule in (like the one I've suggested above) creates another issue; If two people from two different teams team up their fleaweights to form a clusterbot (as in Jim and Joey with Catatonic Octopus or Harry and Jack with Bed and Breakfast), then one half gets killed off in the FWS, or doesn't turn up to the event, then the other person has to withdraw his entry to the AWS, because the rest of his team is full, and his fourth entry is no longer a clusterbot. So I think this issue also needs addressing somehow.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39