does any one know how to make a flipper!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

kickboxer

does any one know how to make a flipper!

Post by kickboxer »

its my first time making a robot and im going to make a flipper
does anyone know how to make one

thanks
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Well a quick answer is to take a fast and tourqey servo and attach an arm on the servo arm to make it longer, then most peple attach a sheet of metal / plastic on top of that so it's wide enough to really get under and keep under the other robot.

The hitec mg81 servo is a good example of a decent flipping servo
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

What Gizz said really :P You can use micro pneumatics - if you have the expertise - but they can limit your design somewhat and you have the additional problem of gas capacity whilst with servos you can flip until your batteries run out, which is considerably longer.

Attaching an arm to a servo is by far the easiest way to do it, if you want something that's more congruous with the body of the robot you could go for a four bar linkage, using the servo to lift a separate flipper arm, which is explained very nicely on Gary's website.

Hope all that helps :) Incidentally, I can't help but notice that you're based virtually down the road from me?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
PBx

Post by PBx »

I'm on my first robot as well (should be finished in about a week), and have gone for the 4 arm as described by Joey, you are also the nearest person to me on the forum :).
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

Gizz wrote:Well a quick answer is to take a fast and tourqey servo and attach an arm on the servo arm to make it longer, then most peple attach a sheet of metal / plastic on top of that so it's wide enough to really get under and keep under the other robot.

The hitec mg81 servo is a good example of a decent flipping servo
thanks for the idea :lol: i think im going to use the hitec mg81 servo but what arm should i use.
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

Joey wrote:What Gizz said really :P You can use micro pneumatics - if you have the expertise - but they can limit your design somewhat and you have the additional problem of gas capacity whilst with servos you can flip until your batteries run out, which is considerably longer.

Attaching an arm to a servo is by far the easiest way to do it, if you want something that's more congruous with the body of the robot you could go for a four bar linkage, using the servo to lift a separate flipper arm, which is explained very nicely on Gary's website.

Hope all that helps :) Incidentally, I can't help but notice that you're based virtually down the road from me?
why where do you live? i live at mountbatten cresent
:roll:
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

well, Pontefract is down the road from Wakefield compared to most other people :P

Any servo arm should do the job as long as you can securely bolt the flipper arm to it, if you're attaching it directly - polycarbonate and titanium are the main choices for making the flipper itself (either from one bent sheet cut to shape, or a thick arm to which a thinner scoop is bolted)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

PBx wrote:I'm on my first robot as well (should be finished in about a week), and have gone for the 4 arm as described by Joey, you are also the nearest person to me on the forum :).
long live bolton i support them
i cant take glory hunters :evil:
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

polycarbonate and titanium are the main choices for making the flipper itself
If you do it right you can get the materials much less sophisticated and come out with a decent flipper. I cut up a hard back file and bolted two long pieces of it together and found it light and pretty effective.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.