SD200 Speed hacking

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

SD200 Speed hacking

Post by bitternboy »

I just wondered if anyone had done this before. I tried but I couldn't see anyway of doing it.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Yes this has been done before, however I think the guide has been lost over time. It is not an easy mod to do. I also think that the servo has changed its gear layout since I last did this.

Check if you gears look like this inside:http://freespace.virgin.net/oliver.stee ... tmotor.htm

If you look at the second to last photo there are 6 gears in the chain including the one on the motor. The key is to remove the second to last gear number 4 if the motor is 1. When this is removed you need to put a piece of plastic (polycarb) the correct thickness. I think this is ~1.5mm under the gear to raise it up to mesh the gear above. The difficult part is milling/ dremelling the case for the new gear location without causing too much friction etc.

The things that can go wrong are not meshing the gears enough leading to gears stripping. Too much friction burning out the board. Removing too much material and the servo gearchain not working.

Back in the day it was a very useful mod, I used it to win AWS14.
TEAM GEEK!
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Looks pretty tricky. I'll give it a go some time in the next few months and see what happens. :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.