Spinnerness...

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Spinnerness...

Post by bitternboy »

Hi, Thought I'd start getting some info together about my fairly ambitious spinner project. Not rushing it, want it to be competitive.

Anyway, I'm planning the spinner to be vertical, use gearmotor and be powered by a two or maybe 3 cell LiPo.

Possible components:
A2812-14 brushless motor- Seems a popular choice and fairly light.
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... 47ff4dc2d7
At the risk of being boring, two Pololu geared motors :)
http://www.robotbits.co.uk/motors-gearb ... od_10.html
And some strengthened 1.5 alu for the blade. And before anyone says anything, I know 1.5 mm alu won't be up to it but this stuff will.
Other parts I'll probably salvage from my toolbox although I may invest in one of PeterW's speed controllers.

Finally I have decided to christen it "R?ly", although the spelling may be a problem (It's pronounce Rye-lee) I'll settle with Reighly, Riley, or Ryely :D

If any of these components won't work together or are unadvisable, let me know. :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

cool when will it be ready?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Probably after christmas...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

i have some 2mm steel some where if you want or 2.5mm aliminmumumun
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Hey there, I've been told that that brushless gets the job done, so I was opting for the same one for my own spinner. Just wondering, how are you going to attach the spinning disc to the motor itself?
Andrea
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

The one above is an outrunner motor so you can remove a small screw, fit a blade in and screw it back on so the blade has no chance of flying off (I'm pretty sure anyway). :)

Edit: Yeah I got that A bit wrong.
Last edited by bitternboy on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Atkinson
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

No, the casing wont come off, that's the bit that spins. If you look at the picture, that black bar going through the top section will unscrew, so you'd put the disc over that small top dome and then put the bar back in place to secure it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Thanks both! :) So Dave, what you think I should do is something like this: http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac20 ... ngdisk.jpg
right? Sorry for the bad picture, it looks like a burger, but I think you can understand what I mean :D
Andrea
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Haha, good picture. Yup, that's pretty much how it works. Or you could put the black bar through the disc, into the motor, but that's a bit more difficult, and unecessary really.
As soon as you get a motor, it becomes clear how to do it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Okay thanks :) Yeah I believe it's going to be easier once I get the brushless in my hands.
Andrea