Hello, Im new to Antbots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Yes, that will work.
Even if using the commercial "servo extender" it is advisable to remove any mechanical stop in the servo.
Also worth mentioning that it's best to choose a servo with a complete final gear, unlike the HS-81 in the example.
2.2k resistors should give around 180 degree rotation, 2k or 1.8k will give slightly less.

It's worth checking that the pot' in the servo will rotate 180 degrees before starting this mod'. I have never come across one that doesn't, and it's pretty unlikely, but best to make sure...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Gary is of course quite right but I have a servo tester that tells me the length of the pulses and from memory they don't actually go anywhere near 1000ms or 2000ms, more like 1200-1800ms, but the servos do respond to signals outside this range even if transmitters don't usually send them, so perhaps a servo extender would "translate the pulse length"? I'll bring it on Saturday so you can see when I mean.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The servo extender would work, but adds weight to the robot :(
The resistor mod is quite simple and much smaller, lighter and cheaper than the commercial solution.

In fact, I think the resistor mod is a "better" solution as it doesn't push anything outside of the published R/C control signallling specifications. :)

Edit: Just remembered I did come across a servo that started to behave strangely when the control pulses got close to 1000 or 2000ms. (Possibly only one end, I can't remember) Probably why most transmitters stick to 1200-1800ms. Another reason to use the resistor mod'
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Whirlwolf has been renamed to problematic failure

Had a great day though, well done joe !
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It did look a lot better than I thought in person, you've built a very very nice robot there Jon :) was good meeting you as well.

Did you work out why the motor had stopped or was it just a random glitch? Shame it didn't get to fight in the main event :(
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

It was the receiver we think that went down, Jon had a spare Pete planet 5 unit in the car and the robot worked fine once that was in.
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Yeah but as we were all leaving the second receiver failed.. And exactly the same way.. Only moved forwards and backwards no left or right.. Then stopped all together.. So now I am really confused.. Because if 2 receivers did the same thing I thought its down to the receiver..it defiantly didn't short out this time.. As it was completely covered with insulation
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

So there was a barrier peice between the 2 motors ? I seem to recall them being rather close...But they, it does seem very weird considering you had it running for the best part of the day after the replacement.
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

yeah i put a barrier in the middle, realy well padded out with insulation tape :D... it litteraly just died in the last 10 secs when everyone was doing the all against all fight at the end.. i really do think its the transmitter now
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

is carbon fibre lighter than polycarb sheet ? and does anyone know where i can get some ? ebay has aload of sellers but many differnt specifications and im not sure what i really need :D needs to be sturdy and light weight looking for about 1mm to about 2mm depending on weight

Thanks