Hello, Im new to Antbots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

I'm pretty sure there's something incredibly clever like counter rotating crankshafts in there to virtually eliminate up and down motion on the leg so it doesn't bounce. Although I could be completely wrong about that.

You can also always add more feet to make it nearly as smooth as wheels which is significantly easier to get your head around.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
TheAntTrap

Post by TheAntTrap »

Here's a another walking mechanism like Mutant use.

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I made a spinner prototype using some old gears I had lying around which was basically four legs, each connected to a rotating gear halfway up and two sliders at the higher end restricting any horizontal movement at the top. The result was a fairly realistic leg movement that worked upsidedown; it sounds complicated but was really very simple. Didn't work in the slightest, it bucked and wobbled around since it's leg cycle was too large even though it looked fairly impressive otherwise.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Ok thanks guys, some good ideas there.

Has anyone found it to be better to use high torque motors For walkers rather than faster motors or doesn't it matter
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Ok thanks guys, some good ideas there.

Has anyone found it to be better to use high torque motors For walkers rather than faster motors or doesn't it matter
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Walkers don't have to be so complicated. Here's a prototype I built one time. Simplest walking mechanism ever, still worked well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh8FwkLUd1Y
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Speed seems to be the last thing you need with the cam type walkers as above a certain speed they tend to bounce on the spot and don't move any where.
There are ways of reducing the amount of up down movement I think Andrew Hibberd is probably the expert on that.
I have started trying to draw up that really neat walking method to see if I can first understand it and second scale it down for use in an Ant.
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Nice, can't wait to see what you come up with peter. So would you say that a 50:1 hp motor is to quick for a walker ?

nice robot there dave, is that at full speed ?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That was at full speed, yeah, on 100:1 motors and 7.4v. I found if it went any quicker then the legs would just flail around instead of walking.

Just to point out I built that chasis about 2 years ago, it has been dismantled since. Just wanted to show that it doesn't have to be precise engineering to make a walker.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

could you have a combination of wheels and legs and still have the weight bonus ?

you could either have wheels at the back with legs up front walking or have moving wheels on the feet so it moves with the legs but has alittle more speed because its got rotating feet ?

would this be allowed lol ?