New Anticide

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Re: New Anticide

Post by Hogi »

i'll just stick to building boxes with wheels :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I don't want to discourage you from doing something new, exciting, and educational, just making sure you're aware of the risks involved :).
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Pneumatics are - aside from bloody dangerous, at least with spinners you can unplug the battery and be reasonably certain it's not going to spin up! - quite a complex way of doing things, particularly in antweights where available components tend to be quite bulky and heavy (and usually designed for planes that have slightly less of a strict weight limit!). You generally need to budget a lot more of the robot's weight for rams, valves, tanks, linkages, often a servo to actuate said valve, etc. than you would for a simple servo, and the results may not be that much better - servos don't lose power as the battle goes on, and very rarely cause your robot to flip itself over, and hardly ever explode during testing...

Essentially, it's a lot of hassle for what isn't always going to be a better result. But you don't do it because it's easy, you do it because it's hard, à la getting people on the moon :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I just received a pneumatic fill.valve from hobbyking. It has a large hex nut on the in end, has anyone got one and tried turning this round to save weight?
TEAM GEEK!