lighweight slim 6v nimh anyone?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

JimBeeden

Post by JimBeeden »

brushed to get a light enough weapon motor, but with enough power,
Flipsting Progress: Completed version 2, first was a cardboard version, pictures will be on website when its set up
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Brushless motors are generally more powerful for the same size and weight but they do need a special controller. Many new commers to ants don't realise just how powerful a spinner needs to be these days to get through some of the armour used. I have a brushless motor that only weighs 9.2 gms but it does not have enough power for an ant but perhaps a Flea?.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

getting back to the question , the battery mentioned above should be fine for a brushed motor , but a brushless motor will definitely not get the juice it needs . but I second what Pete said , a brushed spinner unless very verypowerfull is not going to be terribly efective , one method is to use a flywheel type disk , but it will take along time to spin up.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The amount of current required for a motor is nothing to do with it being brushed or brushless. You can get small brushless motors that take a couple of amps and brushed motors that take many 100s of amps. Brushless motors are generally more efficient though more complex to drive as all the switching of the coils is done electronically and not with a commutator. Although people have done it with smaller batteries I wouldn't recomend less than a 200-250 mAh battery for a spinner. The problem you are going to be running into all the time when building a spinner is weight. If you don't use a LiPo then your battery is much heavier and you have less for everything else including the spinner.
You certainly won't have much weight left for a flywheel.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

my point is that as not many effective brushed spinners have been built , it is going to have to be brushless , and although brushless motors are more efficient than brushed motors ( per rpm) , because they reach such incredible speeds, over all they draw more current for the motors size , a brushless motor weighing only 200 grams or so needs a 90 A esc !

Forgetting all of this , whether brushed or brushless , a brushless motor effective enough as a spinner weapon is going to need more power than that battery can provide for a useful amount of time. I'm not trying to poss on anybody's rainbow , but i dont want you to buy a battery that's no good for you , ive always used brushless motors with lipos , but tomorrow i will have a go with a small nicad and see how long my spinner lasts on a full charge.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide